A batch of squid imported from Hokkaido, Japan, was found to contain excessive levels of cadmium, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) said yesterday, as it reported five types of food imports that failed border inspections.
The batch of squid contained 2mg/kg of the heavy metal, FDA Deputy Director-General Lin Chin-fu (林金富) said.
The maximum allowable limit of cadmium detected in cephalopods (not including internal organs) is 1mg/kg, so the 0.29kg of imported squid would be returned or destroyed, Lin said.
Photo courtesy of the Food and Drug Administration
Squid are known to bioaccumulate metals, as they feed on small fish, crustaceans and plankton, he said.
The importer, Gogo Foods Taiwan Co (博多食品), had purchased three batches of squid from Japan this year, and only this batch failed the inspection, he said.
Inspections of Gogo’s food imports would be raised from “regular randomly selected batch inspection” (2 to 10 percent) to “reinforced randomly selected batch inspection” (20 to 50 percent).
A total of 243 batches of squid had been imported from Japan in the past six months, and only two failed border inspection, which is relatively low, so the general inspection rate would not be increased, the FDA said.
Meanwhile, a batch of dried jackfruit and a batch of dried longan sold under the brand name Seed and imported from Thailand by Cowisdom International Investment Ltd (眾智國際投資) were found to contain the bleaching agent sulfur dioxide at 0.94g/kg and 1.4g/kg respectively, exceeding the allowable limit of 0.5 g/kg.
The FDA would also increase the inspection rate for Cowisdom to 20 to 50 percent.
Moreover, a batch of mixed spices from Malaysia was found to contain the pesticide profenofos that exceeded the allowable limits, and a batch of fresh asparagus imported from Vietnam contained the pesticides indoxacarb and tebufenozide, both of which exceeded permissible limits, FDA data showed.
The five imported food products have not entered the local market and would be returned or destroyed, it said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated